Gadgets are some of the best-selling products. Smartwatch sales rates have grown from 75 to 141 million units this year. And the sales of smartphones reached 4.43 million units last year. Our team has reviewed the best online gadget stores, and we want to share with you the best practices on how to create your own online gadget store. Let’s start with the types.
We develop optimized
The Most Popular Types of Gadgets Sold Online
Currently gadget stores sell lots of various products, and it’s so easy to get lost in the variety! For your convenience, we’ve distinguished the following categories of gadgets, and selected, in our opinion, the best products to represent each category. The gadgets that are in most demand for today look like this:
- Entertainment: Xbox One X; Amazon Echo (2nd generation); Amazon Kindle Voyage Black; DJI Mavic Pro;
- Computing: Huawei MateBook X Pro; Dell XPS 13; Asus ZenBook Flip S UX370; Apple Macbook Pro with Touch Bar 13-inch 2018; MSI GS65 Stealth.
- Communication: Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus; iPhone X; Samsung Galaxy S9; Huawei P20 Pro; LG G7 ThinQ.
- Wearables: Apple Watch 3; Fitbit Versa; Samsung Gear Fit2 Pro; Huawei Watch 2; LG Watch Style.
- Cameras: GoPro Hero6 Black; Nikon D850; Sony Alpha A7 III; Fujifilm X100F; Nikon D3400.
In addition to the categories listed above, customers also take an interest in such product categories as touchscreen gloves, portable projectors, car air purifiers, Bluetooth earbuds, phone cases, VR accessories, and several others.
Where to Find Gadgets to Sell
The main question a business owner should answer is where to source the gadgets to sell.While it’s not difficult to find goods, it’s much harder to find goods on favorable terms. The source you choose largely determines the level of your income and efficacy of doing business.
We’d like to draw your attention to the following sources:
- Distributor – purchasing items from a distributor allows you not only to buy famous brand items at a significant discount, but also to receive training materials and be among the first to know about new products.
- Dropshipping – the essence of this method is cooperation with a supplier which enables you to avoid the hassle of procurement – the only thing you have to do is download a catalogue of items available and pass purchase information and the related customer data to the manufacturer when a purchase is made. Then, you just wait for your commission, without the worry of solving shipping issues.
- Chinese trading platforms – Such trading platforms allow you to find offers from thousands of sellers, at a great price. Although, you will have to consider how to best transfer a significant volume of goods across the border.
- Sectoral auctions – though such events aren’t held very often, they can certainly help you establish some useful contacts with manufacturers and their representatives, which can be used later as you build new business relationships.
It’s not always easy to find a reliable supplier with favorable terms. Additionally, you also have to seriously consider the issue of quality assurance, as well as certification, and shipping.
The Best Stores That Sell Gadgets Online
Now we’d like to bring to your attention the best online gadget and electronics stores, in our opinion:
An American e-store that is particularly famous for selling gadgets and electronics, GearBest offers their customers choice from an incredibly wide range of goods. Aspiring to deliver the most seamless customer experience possible, GearBest has multiple versions of the website, localized for specific regions. This lets users from any country shop with confidence and comfort.
Dollar Deals Zone allows customers to review products with price tags less than $0.99, $1.99, $2.99, $3.99 and $4.99. Their Daily Deals category showcases products that are sold with a significant discount however in limited quantities.
Payments are handled via PayPal, Visa, or MasterCard. Several lesser-known methods are also included, so customers won’t have trouble finding their preferred way to pay. Goods can be shipped to most countries, except South Sudan and Palestine.
Striving for a striking, attractive appeal, the homepage of MenKind features a rich variety of products in a tile formation. The Top-50 category collects items that demonstrate current trends and reflect the interests of the audience. The Gift Ideas category allows you to choose a gift with a variety of filters, such as Occasion, Gender, Age, and Personality (For example, you can choose from geek, gentleman, joker, etc). The store also provides users with helpful instructions related to its products (e.g. “how to fly a drone for the first time”).
MenKind also exists as in brick-and-mortar, and UK citizens can visit stores to check out products in person. Currently there are 48 shops across England, Scotland and Wales, and more stores opening all the time. Customers can conveniently locate the nearest store by checking the map.
Delivery is available to a limited list of countries, and MenKind accepts most major debit and credit cards, such as Visa, MasterCard, and Visa Debit. They also work through PayPal and Amazon Pay.
This store is considered to be one of the most attractive gadget stores, and it’s no wonder! One can easily find the right gift for anyone here. With various categories to choose from for kids, parents, students, and even more specific like developers, and sysadmins. You can explore gifts for graduations and weddings as well, while setting your preferred price range. ThinkGeek also delivers meaningful insight on gift ideas, the history of some of the items, and more, all through its awesome blog.
Shipping is carried out to a very wide range of countries, although it should be noted – some items can’t be shipped internationally, and others can’t ship via air freight.. Because of this, the customer must pay close attention to the product page they are interested in for full details.
ThinkGeek is also in brick-and-mortar in the USA, and visitors can use the Store Locator to learn where stores are situated.
When we speak of selling gadgets online, we would be remiss to not also mention such stores as I Want One of Those (or IWOOT), Firebox, and Maker Shed. Well-known worldwide, they set a really high bar and make trends for other stores.
As you might have noticed, some of the stores mentioned above sell not only gadgets and electronics, but also apparel and shoes, outdoors and sports, toys and hobbies, and much more. There is no need to limit your supplies to electronics, especially if you have an interest in other kinds products.
How Much Does it Cost to Build an Online Gadget Store?
Being an extremely complex and multi-factor project, gadget store development requires thorough analysis to answer the question of the price for its development. So, let’s review what’s included in the cost to build an online gadget store.
There are two options to choose from: you may use template themes or obtain a custom development from scratch. Let’s look closer at each one.
Custom web development allows you to build an online store tailored specifically to your needs. The time required for this type of e-commerce web development can vary from 160 hours to 549 and more if your website requires more specific functionality.
Custom development means everything on your website will be fitted specifically to your needs. Everything starts with assembling the requirements, writing the technical specifications, followed by the prototype development, and design. With ready-made themes, you avoid the necessity of prototype and design development since all the decisions were made long before,which is why development using themes requires less time than custom development. That’s also why a theme-based shop won’t have a unique look, and it won’t play into the hands of your brand identity, which is extremely important in terms of business.
Now that you know more about the approximate time estimations for each type of development, the next question must be about rates, which vary seriously depending on the region, technologies used, and several other factors. However, there are specific trends for you to consider. For example, developer rates in the USA, Canada, Australia and Western Europe are $50-150 per hour which is higher than in Asia at $18-40 per hour and Eastern Europe where companies charge $25-40 per hour.
What’s the Technology Stack for an Online Gadget Store Development?
Our engagement with online store development for many years have enabled us to distinguish some technologies that are the most useful to develop an e-commerce website.
First and foremost, you need to choose the foundation of your future store. Being a Magento obsessed company, we definitely recommend that you opt for the Magento platform – its reliability and flexibility allows for the creation of a robust system that is nonetheless still able to be changed from time to time. You can also consider both Shopify or WooCommerce – both of these platforms are perfect for the e-store with less than 2,500 pieces listed.
The next thing that will need to be clarified is choosing the web server. The most popular ones todayare Apache, Nginx and IIS. At Whidegroup, we prefer Apache to run our projects, so we advise our clients to use the same. It also holds more than 40% of the market. Only slightly less popular, Nginx (33% of the market) is also a good option for your e-commerce website launch.
The sheer variety of the available libraries and frameworks for the front-end would leave anyone speechless. To simplify the process, it would help to first define what is important for you – performance, size, lines of code, etc., before making this decision.
While the online gadget store tech stack is not rocket science, it does require some effort to be successful. You can do it yourself, or you can get some help from qualified specialists.
What Matters for a Gadget Store in Terms of Design and UX?
- Usable: Your website must be easy to use.
- Useful: Your content should be original and serve its purpose.
- Desirable: The content on the website should evoke emotion and appreciation.
- Findable: Content needs to be easy to navigate.
- Accessible: Content needs to be accessible to people with disabilities.
- Credible: Users must trust and believe what you present them.
Themes to Develop an Online Gadget Store
If you prefer to develop your website with online gadget store themes, then take a look at some of the best ones that we’ve gathered specially for you below, and tailored to the most popular e-commerce platforms of today – Magento and Wordpress.
Lightweight and elegant, the StartElectro Theme makes it easy to highlight your products with the help of product badges – a small, yet extremely effective tool in e-commerce promotion. You have the option to use a newsletter pop-up extension to increase your user base. You can also choose how to represent your products: a smooth slider and catchy-banners will help you present your best deals and promotions in the most attractive way.
- Accelerated mobile pages (AMP) – Google-backed technology that allows web-pages to be loaded quickly on mobile devices.
- Sorting options – this feature provides shoppers with multiple product display options such as grid, list-based view, alphabetical order, etc.
- Mega menu – this must-have feature gives you the ability to show categories, subcategories, and items at the same time in an extremely convenient manner, which works to gain more customer attention.
- Image slider – a powerful rotation system that can help you rotate slider elements in any sequence using one of the predefined animation effects.
Modern, clean, and elegant, the Electronics theme can be used for selling tools, equipment, various components, and different electrical parts. It’s also convenient for selling phone, laptop, and mobile accessories. This theme is good-looking, fully responsive, and enjoys the possibility for deep customization. Using the latest WooCommerce plugins, you can extend standard functionality and thus gain cross-browser compatibility, and many other handy functions.
It should be noted that images are not included into this theme.
- Optimized source code – code is written to enable maximum performance.
- Landing page builder – build your fully-responsive landing page swiftly and easily with a drag and drop editor.
- Theme color switcher – choose any color to give your store its desired style.
Whidegroup’s Experience in Creating a Store to Sell Gadgets & Electronics
Whidegroup is an e-commerce store development company. We have significant expertise in building different types of stores, including gadget stores. The examples of the latter include Fonejoy, an Australian e-commerce store that specializes in cell phone accessories and spare parts. It offers a wide range of official parts for smartphones, and an extensive assortment of parts for VR-glasses, smart-watches, etc.
Our client needed to develop an e-store that would allow him to group customers by purchasing volume. This meant he needed to build one store that would allow regular customers buy gadgets like smartphones, and another store that would allow retailers to buy wholesale.
To meet this requirement we implemented a single database that allows Fonejoy to perform resource planning in one place. We integrated the websites with eBay and Amazon, which gives the company the ability to store, manage, and display sales data in one common database, and use one website admin panel. It’s also very easy for the admin to manage product stock availability for the different stores and warehouses. All sales data is regularly imported to the single database, which helps to keep sales and stock availability information up-to-date on all their websites.
Additionally, we made NutelSolutions, a website for retailers, visible only to merchants that have been approved by the admin.
The e-commerce features we implemented include:
- Category pages that are well-organized and structured so users can easily search for products and sort through items
- Product search results that can be displayed in different modes, which increases the level of interest.
- Engaging, user-friendly mobile versions, as enjoyed by both Fonejoy and NutelSolutions.
Users are welcome to pay via Visa, MasterCard, PayPal and Maestro. It is also convenient to track orders using UK Royal Mail and DHL Worldwide services.
If you’re looking for an experienced team of e-commerce website developers, please send us some information about your project, and we’ll see how we can help.