Postfly is an American subscription service that provides fishing supplies. Customers can subscribe to one of three membership plans to receive a flybox once a month. Each box comes packed with flies, gear, and stoke. The Postfly team of guides curates each box based on location, season, and species, so customers always have what is needed to catch more fish.
Postfly began its business in 2013 as a small start-up and now ships over 100,000 fly fishing accessories internationally and counting, every month. It has grown to be the largest D2C fly fishing distributor in the world.
The business owners were looking for a way to optimize their customers’ buying journey - they wanted to improve the user experience and see an increase in the website’s conversion rate. Operating a subscription model using Bold Subscriptions for Shopify, which enables subscription logic only on product pages, Postfly was limited in design variation for the website and was looking for subscription logic customization.
Previously, Postfly subscriptions looked something like this:
1. Customers started on a page where they could choose the type of box they’d receive between “Regular” or “Guide,” each differed in the number of flies, special products included each month, and much more.
2. On the next page, customers had to specify the type of fish they would be fishing for (this information was used to determine the type of fishing tackle).
3. The next step was to choose the subscription term - 3 months, 6 months or 12 months.
4. Then, customers were redirected to the shopping cart containing the corresponding Postfly box, where they could finally place the order and move to checkout.
The need was to eliminate all those cumbersome steps on different pages that took place before even getting to complete the order, and instead locating all the logic for choosing a box type on a single custom collection page.
The complexity of the modification for Postfly was the default functionality of Bold Subscriptions - to work only with a single product, so, one entity on a page. As the idea of buying journey improvements was placing all types of products and subscriptions on a single page - two main products with numerous variations, we had to customize the underlying logic of Bold Subscriptions.
In conjunction with this, we fully reworked the subscription page design and customized the default Shopify checkout process to make it work as a one page checkout instead of multiple steps that required inputting shipping address, selecting the shipping methods and then entering payment details on separate pages before actually placing an order. Now, after our modifications, when the customer chooses all the product options, the product is added to their shopping cart right away and shown in a pop-up window. After clicking the Check Out button, the customer is redirected to a checkout page where they can complete the order.
Now, that our work is completed, the Postfly website:
- Has modern collection page design and an optimized checkout process
- Enjoys an improved conversion rate by shortening the ordering process from seven to three steps
- Engages their demanding clients more efficiently by providing a unique customer experience
All the custom logic we’ve developed is tailored exactly to the Postfly’s business model and target audience, and was made in accordance with the best development practices. It is smoothly integrated with the native Shopify and Bold Subscriptions logic and serves as a reliable foundation for future business growth.
TELL US ABOUT YOUR PROJECT - WE’LL RESPOND IMMEDIATELY!